Upgrading you Android OS is always a tricky situation – you might end up missing the features that the older version had offered. That’s when you realize the mistake and take a step back by downgrading your device to the previous OS. If you have a Samsung phone and is seriously planning to switch to the older Ice cream sandwich OS, here’s a step by step guide on how to downgrade from Jelly bean to ICS:
Before you begin:
- This guide is for Samsung Galaxy devices including Samsung Galaxy S series and Samsung Galaxy Note series.
- This is not a legal or genuine update. You might face any bug problems after the downgrade process.
Downloads & other requirements to Downgrade any Samsung Phone and Tablet :
- Search & download the appropriate ICS firmware for your device from here
- Extract the downloaded package on to your PC
- Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC, from here
- Download & install Odin software from here: Link 1 or Link 2
- Back up your current ROM data on your device’s external memory.
- The phone’s battery should be fully charged.
- You will also need a data cable to attach the device to your PC.
- Turn on USB debugging option on your device by following this path: Settings > Developer Options > Navigate to Debugging option > Make it enable
How to downgrade Samsung Phone/Tablet from Jelly Bean to Android 4.0 ICS :
Step 1: Turn of your device and set it to recovery mode by:
- Pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home buttons together
- And then long press the Power Button till you have something displayed on the screen.
Step 2: Go to the Odin folder that was downloaded earlier and run the .exe files on your PC.
Step 3: Connect the device to your PC, through a data cable. Once the device is successful connected, the port light in the Odin software will turn green.
Step 5: Make sure that the Auto Reboot option is enabled on the Odin software.
Step 6: Click on to PDA Button and select the firmware file (tar.md5 format) from the Odin software.
Step 7: Click on the Start button and will take a few minutes to install.
Step 8: When you see a PASS message on your screen, remove the data cable from your PC.
Step 9: Reboot and set your phone into recovery mode by:
- Pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home buttons together
- And then hold the Power button till the screen blinks and the Samsung logo appears.
- Only release the Power button and not any other buttons, till you have a dark screen with blue code texts.
Step 10: The Code text screen will have a number of options for you to choose. Choose the relevant options by navigating them, using the Volume up and Down keys.
Step 11: Select Wipe data/ Factory Reset option. And confirm by pressing YES option.
Step 12: Now select the Reboot Now option and your downgrade process is complete.